<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: Working....Or Am I

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Working....Or Am I

So, here is a sample of the conversation I had with my 9 yr-old daughter, Emma.
"Mommy, will you make me some tea?"
"In a few, minutes, Emma. I'm working right now."
"But you're crocheting..."
"That is working, honey. I'm writing a new pattern."
"You're crocheting...you like to crochet. That isn't working"
So, am I working? It's funny, I really feel like I am releasing some kind of pent up energy I've had for years. I started out with crochet. My grandmother taught me to chain with a hook and cast on stitches to knitting needles and knit them off in one afternoon. I didn't pick up either again until I was in my 30's. I taught myself to crochet, first. I did mainly dish cloths, granny squares, one afghan, and then moved on to doilies. I liked to buy Easy Knitting + Crochet magazine and try projects in there. Then I bought Melanie Falick's Kid's Knitting and learned some basic techniques from her and Debbie Bliss' How To Knit book. I made a bookbag, eyeglass cases for DH, hairbands, and a few knitted projects from the aforementioned Easy Knitting Mag.
(For some reason, I am thinking that was a Family Circle publication).
Put the yarn down again, for a while, and when I picked it up again in 2005, I never looked back. I have had an absolute blast! While most has been for fun, I have discovered a writing fetish when it comes to the knitting and the crochet. I have discovered that writing on these topics is effortless. You write what you know. You write from your experience. You write about what you love. Well, that's easy. I love God, I love my family, I love yarn and anything to do with it.
And now, I am actually beginning to take the yarn-y part seriously and look to make it my life's work. So, I feel fulfilled, yes, finally, like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, and also, I seem to be looking over my shoulder, saying, "Really? It's okay for me to do this? I really am doing this? I really am going to make a living at this?" Time will tell, but I have a feeling, I really have a feeling that I will. "Do what you love, and the money will follow." Julia Cameron, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home