<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: A Must Read!

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Friday, December 15, 2006

A Must Read!

You are looking at a closeup of thousands of mittens. These were knit by the Latvian people, one pair each, for the members of Nato delegations and media representatives. An unprecedented 4500 pairs of mittens were knit. This pic is just a small representation of the magnitude of this project! The Latvian people must truly be rich in character. Please find the official press release at the official Nato Summit 2006 website, here, and a detailed history of Latvian mitten design and symbol meanings here. I found this story on Marcy's blog. Fabulous read always, by the way. Enjoy and Happy Friday!

Whoo-hoo!
Ang

4 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

Thanks for sharing the mittens info! What a great story. I would love to be able to knit some of these mittens - I've always been afraid of colorwork.

9:20 AM  
Blogger AuntieAnn said...

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

3:39 PM  
Blogger hakucho said...

That's a so very interesting story about the Latvian mittens. 4500 mittens...that's alot of mittens!! All the symbols reminds me of Ukrainian Easter Eggs. Very similar cultures I guess!

Happy knitting:)

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe how many mitts they knit up - and so totally gorgeous ones! Friends of mine have been to Latvia for the last Hockey World Cup and they said they've never met such nice, friendly and warm-hearted people - well, now I believe it for sure! Thanks for sharing this story!

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home