<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: Spinning....

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Spinning....

I told you a couple weeks ago about my new-to-me Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel. When I bought it, it was a little rough...meaning it was missing parts, dirty and the wood needed conditioning...badly.  I cleaned it up with the help of DH and my flyer and bobbins came in last Wednesday.  So, now I have a working spinning wheel and have been able to sit down with it and learn to spin.  First, I'd like to thank Mary Ann Pagano of Three Waters Farm.  When I posted a pic of the used wheel and asked for advice about buying it to my local fiber arts group, she was the only one to respond, so I gave her my order for the standard flyer and bobbins.  She has been very kind and helpful. I brought my wheel to her shop, and she helped me attach the necessary parts and teach me how to adjust them and the basics of spinning on a wheel.  Emma was with me and I have said this before and will say it again...they fiber arts community has always presented the finest examples of kindness and helpfulness to my daughter, for which I am truly grateful.




















Spinning with a drop spindle over the years has made learning to spin at the wheel much easier than it might have been.  Mostly because I am already practiced at drafting and plying with the spindle, so transferring those skills to a spinning wheel was pretty easy. The only thing that required practice was keeping the wheel turning with my foot and drafting out my fibers at the same time.  A rhythm is necessary to accomplish that feat, but a few sessions of practice has yielded a few nice skeins of plied yarn.

This is Merino top that I bought at Unplanned Peacock.  I realize that Merino isn't as easy to spin as BFL, and this fiber was bought in 2011 and is still in the braid, so it required more pre-drafting than usual, but the singles are bouncy and soft and I am happy with the yarn I made.  I am going to spin the rest on one bobbin and ply that from a center pull ball, just like I did these.  I spun these with a z twist and plied with an s twist. The color in these pics really isn't quite right, either...it is really more of a deep teal.   I think this will probably become a hat...we'll see:0)



Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Well done! So much better than my first efforts on a wheel! I love the colour too

1:24 AM  
Blogger Lifesastitch said...

So nice to give new life and appreciation to something that was left ignored. Have fun with it.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Thank you! Hope you are well!

4:24 PM  
Blogger weekend knitter said...

That's some awesome looking singles on that bobbin! Beautiful!

1:15 AM  
Blogger weekend knitter said...

Those are some awesome looking singles on that bobbin! Beautiful!

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home