<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: Reconditioning

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Reconditioning

Looky, looky what my Mom bought for me at a local Thrift Shop.....
















This is an Ashford Traditional from 1982, based on the spokes, the circle of A's emblem on the front leg and the position of the scotch tension knob, close to the spinner.  Yippee!!! This is my dream wheel, the one I always imagined myself having.  Of course, I more imagined a brand new, varnished edition, but in these times when NO ONE has money, I mean NO ONE, you have to be creative in order to get things that you want. Some things we do without and some things we buy used. This wheel is missing the flyer, bobbins and lazy kate. She also needs a new drive band.  The most expensive part to buy new is the flyer, at $48.  I'm currently looking for a used one.  I'll be taking this down to Yarns, Etc. in Chapel Hill so that Mary Ann from Three Waters Farm, can look at it and tell me what else it might need. In the meantime, I spent part of yesterday conditioning the wood. I am amazed at how much better it looks!
















My husband uses this recipe for a mixture that cleans and conditions wood. If you use 0000 steel wool, it is really a one step process:

Wood Conditioner/Cleaner

1/2 C Cider Vinegar
1/2 C Linseed Oil
1/2 C Mineral Spirits

Mix this in an old glass jar with a lid (peanut butter, spaghetti sauce). Shake well and apply liberally with the steel wool, giving special attention to dirt and caked dust, etc. Wipe and polish with a soft cloth.  I suggest you use this stuff outdoors. It smells pretty strong.
My spinning wheel is clean and shiny! It should darken and the oil should continue to protect it over the next few years.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home