<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: Headband

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Monday, July 04, 2011

Headband

My grandmother, Nanny, taught me to knit and crochet in one sitting one day when I was maybe, 11 or 12 yrs old. I was probably spending the night at her house, as I often did on a random weekend or other times during the summer months. She taught me how to cast-on to a knitting needle and the knit stitch, and, she taught me to chain with a crochet hook. I think I may have knit 8-10 rows, and then did not pick up the needles again until sometime after my brother died. I was probably 32. I bought Melanie Falick's book, Kid's Knitting, and dove in. I made the garter stitch backpack, and several glasses cases for DH. (I did not wear glasses at the time) And, I must have made 50 or so of these:

I made them in acrylic yarn, Red Heart Supersaver, usually in the variegated colorways. Today, I made one for the first time in years, because it is *so* hot and humid here, and I really need some, but I don't want to go out and buy them. Firstly, the ones I can buy at the store rarely stay put, and the plastic ones give me a headache. Secondly, I'd rather make mine because I'm cheap and I want to use my stash yarn.
The pattern couldn't be simpler.
CO 8 sts. I used a size 6 needle for this headband and my gauge was about 5 sts/inch. Knit in garter stitch (knit every row) for approximately 11 inches. Switch to stockinette for 4 inches, bind off , seam ends together with a whip stitch and weave in ends. That's it! Garter stitch works best, as it stretches. I used Peaches and Cream for this one. A cotton blend works well, too. Cotton Ease is a good choice.
These are cheap because you can use stash yarn, quick to knit, versatile, because you can make them as wide or a thin as you like and whatever color(s) you need, and they are more functional than anything you can buy at the store. I love them because they keep my hair out of my face and off my neck. Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home