<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.rainydaystitches.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Angelarae Knits: To Spin Or Not to Spin

Angelarae Knits

...and Crochets

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, NC, United States

Hello! Welcome to my Blog! I live and enjoy the fibery crafts here, in Raleigh, NC with my husband and 5 children! I love to share patterns, tips, and recipes along with my spinning from time to time. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around a bit!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

To Spin Or Not to Spin


Well, folks, I have been avoiding making a christmas list this year. I say this because my hubby says that when I put things off the way I do, it is because I am avoiding them...whatever. Anyhoo, when I allow my mind to drift to what I would like to have for Christmas this year, along with a couple skeins of Trekking XXL, floating through my brain is, of all things, a spinning wheel. Of course, this idea evaporates like a vapor when my logic brain starts talking: "Are you mad? You don't have room for a spinning wheel in your tee-niny house, the yarn stash is, shall we say, spilling over into areas not meant for yarn, and not to mention, where is time? You already have too much going on! You have 5 kids and a sick husband, for heaven's sake! Besides that, Miss Prissypants, people who spin all that beautiful yarn you see are talented and maticulous and you are neither. " Such is the awful banter of that nasty little critic. Coupled with the fear that this will be just another craft that I pick up and then drop like a hot potato when I figure out that it is too much trouble to be fun, it's a wonder that the spinning wheel continues to linger. I have some favorite bloggers who spin: Maia, Eunny, Stephanie, et al. They all speak of it as a zen kind of thing, a peaceful escape...and that's what I need, a peaceful escape. Fortunately, (or unfortunately)my lys, Shuttles, Needles and Hooks, sells spinning wheels and supplies, so I am assuming someone there can spin and talk to me about what is involved and whether or not I can afford it (not likely).
So I think I'll make a little side trip to the shop on my way to pick up more humble pie at Trader Joe's. Now, yarn shop before or after?...before, definately before.

4 Comments:

Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Spinning does sound like fun -- and I SO do not have time or room for another hobby, fiber-related or otherwise. So I'm right there with you, except I'm avoiding (there's that word again) anyplace that might sell wheels. Hmm, maybe a pretty little drop-spindle?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

It really isn't that hard to get started -- easier to pick up than knitting, anyway. But it does require some practice to do it really well. Why don't you start with a drop spindle? That's not much investment, money or space-wise. At least not compared to a wheel.

3:03 PM  
Blogger hakucho said...

I would love to learn to spin, too. I talk myself out of it because I don't have a local source of wool to spin. Now if I had angora bunnies or a lamb I would definitey do it. I saw the cutest baby angora bunnies last summer at the Barnstable county fair....but I knew it would be just too much work. Guess I'm just plain lazy. Maybe someday I'll get to try spinning.

Go for it if you can and I can live vicariously through your blog posts :)

Happy knitting and maybe spinning :)

7:25 PM  
Anonymous cat said...

I spin also! We can do a girls day and you can stop over for lunch and check out my Kromski. That would be sooo cool to meet you.
Hugs!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home